Sometimes, there is no getting around it…not every gift you give will have the element of surprise. Plenty of people start unwrapping a present and know exactly what is inside. For some gift givers, they just can’t get over the fact that they’ve somehow missed out on that stunned, amazed, astounded look that comes across a gift recipient’s face when they have no clue what a box or package has to offer. If you’d like to enhance the overall effect of this type of gift-giving, consider the following suggestions on how to add your own personal touches or flair:
1. Enhance the Presentation of a Gift
The first thing a gift recipient sees when receiving a present is the packaging, which is one area you have complete control over when they already know what they are getting. There are plenty of ways to enhance the look and presentation of a gift, such as:
- Dressing up a gift with unique bows, ribbon, fresh flowers, and other textured accents. We’ve outlined a few creative ways to wrap gifts in a previous post.
- Choosing wrapping paper that dazzles, such as unique designs, personalization, and novelty styles.
- Using photocopied gift tags and wrap (with the help of this Martha Stewart tutorial) by turning favorite photos into memorable labels.
You can also surprise a recipient through the way a gift is delivered:
- Create a themed scavenger hunt.
- Hire a singing telegram or costumed delivery person.
- Use a drone to deliver smaller gifts, especially fun for tech lovers.
2. Select a Fancy Box
When enhancing the way you present a gift, one of the best ways to make a lasting impression is by choosing an ornamental or dual-purpose box. These are the types of boxes and containers that your loved one won’t throw away, but instead, keep because of its value and ability to function as a stand-alone gift.
A few ideas include:
- Placing smaller gifts inside of a decorative jewelry box – two gifts in one.
- Personalizing a slide-top wooden box (as shown above) to create a memorable keepsake.
- Using a treasure chest, which doubles as storage and home décor.
For example, KhaoticHopeCreations makes custom treasure chests with personalized details, such as names, initials, monograms, dates, and other pieces of significant information. Made to order, the artisan offers an array of finishes, such as Early American, Red Mahogany, Worn Gray, Vintage Navy Dark Walnut and Natural/Unfinished. Different sizes and styles are available, including some chests that come with lock and key.
Celtic Realm also sells customizable woodburned trinket boxes, watch cases, jewelry boxes, and treasure chests (some with secret storage compartments) that display unique designs.
3. Choose an Unforgettable Card
Nowadays, it’s easy to find eye-catching cards that come with extra bells and whistles…literally. Some of today’s creations help make a special occasion even more memorable with some of the following features:
- The ability to light up, blink, or glow in the dark, like the Midnight in Paris greeting card by Laura Iverson shown here.
- Encourages interaction, like spinning a wheel or pulling a tab.
- Entertains with gag sounds, music, and singing.
- Allows you to record a personalized message.
- Impresses with the artistry of elaborate laser-cut and pop-ups.
Papyrus is a company with a reputation for churning out truly impressive greeting cards. With high-quality craftsmanship and attention to detail, the cards tend to go the extra mile. A lot of cards offer unique features – oftentimes detachable and 3D. They also incorporate texture into some of their designs, from soft-to-touch accents to patterns made with foil, gems and glitter.As seen in the Honeycomb Glitter Spider above, part of the card is made up of a hangable ornament decorated with black glitter and “gemstone” eyes.
For flower lovers, the company also sells a line of handmade, laser-cut detailed, floral pop-up cards which are blank inside to allow space for heartfelt messages. Shown here are the iris and rose – other options mirroring this same style include lily, daisy, and lily pad.
4. Include Present as Part of Themed Gift Basket
Although a loved one may know exactly what they’re getting as a gift, you can still include the element of surprise with a gift basket made with love. Consider buying or making a gift basket that coordinates with the present they are receiving.
For example, if you’re handing over the keys to a new car, stash them inside of a car care gift basket. Prepare an ingredient-filled gift basket to surround a large kitchen appliance purchase. A K-Cup and coffee toppings gift basket is an added surprise for a gifted Keurig maker.
You may also choose a theme to fit the personality of the gift recipient or one that represents their interests or favorite things.
5. Buy a Companion Gift
It doesn’t have to be fancy, flashy or expensive…but purchasing a companion gift can help sneak in an element of surprise. Pair a brand new winter coat with matching gloves. Order personalized luggage tags for a new travel set. Consider a lens cleaning kit or editing software for camera gifts. Buy a bottle of wine or champagne to accompany a celebratory gift. Purchase a video game, extra game controller or $20 gift card to Gamestop for the Xbox or Playstation you’ve just finished wrapping.
How would you add an element of surprise to your gift-giving?