Everyone knows someone who enjoys a good book more than the average reader; collects bestsellers; or who simply loves expand their mind with new publications. When trying to pick the perfect book for a loved one or friend, it can get a pretty tricky. For many, they’d much rather do it themselves…which is where PickUrGift comes in mighty handy. You can create a Reverse Wishlist™ for the book lover in your life – you get to play an active role in the gift-giving process (instead of giving a gift card to Barnes & Noble), and they get to select an ideal title or gift.
A few ways to use PickUrGift for your next book-shopping adventure:
1. To Nurture a New Hobby
Book-shopping for someone who just started a new hobby is probably one of the easiest endeavors to achieve, and with PickUrGift, you’ll have a Reverse Wishlist™ complete in no time.
Zero in on solid How-To and DIY (do it yourself) books related to a new hobby.
- An illustrated guide to yoga poses for beginners.
- Easy project book for jewelry-makers.
- Plant care handbooks for the ‘green’ gardener.
- Purchasing a beginner’s book for amateur photographers. To get you started, consider adding Scott Kelby’s series of top-selling digital photography books, which come highly recommended. His latest publications include The Digital Photography Book, Part 5: Photo Recipes and The Digital Photography Book, Part 4.
2. Enjoy a Win-Win with a Cookbook List
Some people have a strong fondness for cookbooks, and you probably can’t go wrong with a PickUrGift Reverse Wishlist™ that solely features a wide range of interesting and highly-rated cookbooks.
- Their favorite type of cuisine
- Regional favorites
- Cookbooks written by their favorite chef
- Publications put out by giants in the food industry, from Betty Crocker to the Food Network. I personally have Sweet: Our Best Cupcakes, Cookies, Candy, and More (shown here) on my wish list.
When applicable, don’t forget to zero in on cookbooks related to dietary restrictions (such as gluten free cooking, diabetic desserts, and recipes for the lactose intolerance).
3. Add to a Collection from Favorite Authors
Knowing a gift recipient’s favorite author(s) or the types of books they usually purchase allows you to create a lovely PickUrGift list of possibilities that they may choose to add to their collection. When applicable, seek out signed copies, first editions, literary criticism, anthologies, or complete collections (from Shakespeare to Edgar Allen Poe to the Grimm Fairy Tales).
Also, consider adding a few biographies and autobiographies related to their favorite author.
4. Explore their Favorite Genre
If you know a gift recipient’s favorite genre…and would like to expose them to authors that write similar material, there are a few different ways to go about it. Conducting a keyword search and browsing genres featured online booksellers is one way to start.
On Amazon, you can narrow down selections according to New Releases, New York Times Bestseller Lists, and Best Books of the Month. Use the site’s Advanced Search feature to fine-tune your possibilities, which include browsing books by more specific genres; searching for collectibles; and even finding titles written in different languages.
To locate authors by genre, plenty of websites can help. One in particular, Fiction DB provides a subjective glance at fiction writers separated into more specific categories, such as Fantasy, Time-Travel, Historical, and Romantic Comedy/Mystery. The site also offers an explanation of the categories, author information, book titles, and other details, such as award-winning publications and whether an author pens a series.
5. Gifting Book Accessories
When shopping for a book lover, and you have no clue where to start…you can always create a PickUrGift list filled with items that an avid reader would most likely appreciate, such as:
- Reading lights and lamps
- Stylish magnifying accessories for the vision-impaired
- Creative and decorative book ends, like the above giraffe creation and limited edition set sold by the Bradford Exchange, which commemorates the Washington Redskins football team.
- Personalized Kindle and Nook covers
- Art prints featuring a favorite author’s or poet’s work, such as the artwork shown here sold by Kriya Graphics which features a W.B. Yeats quote.
Where to Get Ideas for a Book Lover’s
PickUrGift Reverse Wishlist
When shopping for the avid book reader, consider taking a peek at their Amazon WishList (if it’s public), or browse their Pinterest Page to get clues. Add the titles that stand out the most from these resources to a PickUrGift Reverse Wishlist™ for them. Give it a try, you’ll both have fun!
Share your favorite book below,
or give a shoutout to the book lover in your life…